Arizona is an amazing state with the perfect climate for growing many different plants and trees worldwide, one of those trees being the palm tree. Palm trees thrive in warm and tropical climates and thrive just as well in our beautiful state of Arizona. Palm trees are convenient for homeowners because they require minimal maintenance and only need to be trimmed/pruned once or twice a year. When it comes to palm tree trimming, Phoenix residents should take every precaution. The very act of trimming can be dangerous, and amateur trimming can actually hurt the health of the palm. So when is the best time to trim your palm trees, and what should you avoid? Continue reading to find out!
How often should palm trees be pruned?
It’s usually pretty easy to tell when your palm trees need pruning. You will notice their old fronds turning brown and drying out. This is a natural occurrence of a palm tree’s life cycle. It’s important to trim and remove the old dry fronds so new and fresh fronds can grow and replace the old ones. We recommend trimming your palms once or twice a year, depending on your palm’s life cycle. It’s important to note that over-pruning should be avoided, as it can cause permanent damage to your palm.
When is the best time of year to trim palm trees?
The key to getting your palms trimmed at the right time of year is knowing when to do so, which isn’t always easy for homeowners unfamiliar with how these trees grow. Early to mid-June is the best time of year for trimming palm trees. This is the best time of year to remove seeds that are forming and any leaves or fronds that are dry and dying. Professional palm tree trimmers will remove the brown dead fronds while leaving as much green as possible for the appearance and health of the tree. Avoiding inexperienced palm tree trimming is important, as it can lead to the death of your palm.
Can I prune/trim palm trees myself?
Although it is not recommended, you can trim palm trees on your own if you use the right tools and techniques. If you’re going to try to perform this task yourself, we recommend you use long-handled sharpened pruning sheers or long-handled saws. It would be best to begin trimming by removing the fronds as close to the base as possible. While smaller-sized palm trees are okay to try to handle on your own, a professional who has the appropriate equipment, knowledge and experience should handle taller and bigger-sized palm trees. This will ensure your safety and the health of your trees.
Why should you call a professional to prune your palm trees?
When it comes to palm tree trimming, Phoenix residents should take every precaution. The very act of trimming can be dangerous, and amateur trimming can actually hurt the health of the palm. Depending on the age, height, and condition, we’ll use differing methods. These factors can also affect which pests and problems are most likely to occur. When you want expert trimming of your palm tree from a team of tree technicians and arborists with 20 years of local tree trimming experience, nobody provides skilled service with a smile like PV Trimmers.
Other benefits include:
- Keeping you safe – Your safety is critical. Not only do our palm tree trimming services in Phoenix protect you from having to climb a palm, but they also protect you below it. Falling palm fronds can be dangerous to persons and property. Our experts can identify and safely remove weak and dying fronds. This protects you and strengthens your tree.
- Knowledgeable tree care experts – We have the necessary experience to identify what variety of palm you have and the expertise to trim it correctly. We take great care when trimming back palm fronds, ensuring the integrity of the trunk remains intact. We can do so without eliminating too much of your palm’s foliage, potentially endangering its ability to photosynthesize.
- Keep your tree healthy – When they receive palm tree trimming, Phoenix palm trees enjoy a number of health benefits. Trimming back dead fronds eliminates a favorite area of pests like rats, scorpions, and snakes. It also reduces the palm as a fire hazard and prevents damage to property during windy months like monsoon season.
What are the dangers of DIY palm trimming?
- Electrical lines – It may seem like an obvious hazard, but unwary trimmers can be electrocuted by unnoticed power lines. Even when they are considered beforehand, an amateur trimmer may become overwhelmed and forget where they are. This can lead to danger and deadly repercussions.
- Safety line problems – Severing a safety line or disconnecting a clip without an additional tie-in can occur. Studies have shown that a chainsaw can go through a wire-core line in about 4 seconds. Without even knowing it, an amateur can quickly cut their line and suffer a fall.
- Suffocation – Sloughing palm fronds are a little-realized danger of palm tree trimming. Fronds are capable of dropping without detaching from the tree. These can weigh upwards of 500 pounds. They can slam tree trimmers into the tree trunk, crushing and even asphyxiating them.
Is pruning my palm trees really necessary?
Yes! Pruning your trees, especially your palm trees, is necessary! Palm trees that aren’t taken care of are not only less appealing but can be hazardous! Dried fronds will eventually begin to break off and fall, which can cause accidents or even injuries to you, your family, or pedestrians walking by! Dry fronds can also be an extreme fire hazard if left unattended.
Contact our palm tree trimmers in Phoenix today!
It’s easy to see why getting your Phoenix palm tree trimming job performed by our experts is so important. With affordable prices, there’s no reason to put your safety and your palm tree’s health in jeopardy. For professional trimming from a dedicated team of local experts, call or contact us today.